- Phyllis Mullenix, Ph.D., pharmacologist and toxicologist, was hired by the Forsyth Dental Center to investigate toxicity of products used by dentists. When researching fluoride Dr. Mullenix’s findings showed that fluoride is a neurotoxin and a teratogen. This research was published in 1995.
- Jennifer Luke, Ph.D., working in England found that fluoride accumulates to high levels within the human pineal gland. (Luke 2001) This was following preliminary studies with animals which showed that fluoride reduced melatonin levels. (Luke 1997) The pineal gland is the only gland producing melatonin. Melatonin has a role in cancer prevention, strengthening the immune system and may help slow the progression of Alzheimer’s.
- It has been recently reported by the University of Kent, Great Britain that fluoride could be causing depression and weight gain and it should no longer be added drinking water. This is due to fluoride’s effect on the thyroid. “A study of 98 per cent of GP practices in England found that high rates of underactive thyroid were 30 per cent more likely in areas of the greatest fluoridation.” (The Telegraph, 02/23/2015)
- The Harvard School of Public Health published the following: “In a meta-analysis, researchers from Harvard School of Public Health (HSPH) and China Medical University in Shenyang for the first time combined 27 studies and found strong indications that fluoride may adversely affect cognitive development in children.” Study published online in Environmental Health Perspectives on July 20, 2012.
- After much deliberation the European Union, with more information available than was around in the mid-twentieth century when fluoridation was instituted in the U.S., has largely (figure varies between 97 and 98%) opted not to fluoridate water. In fact, in 2005, the European Court of Justice ruled that fluoridated water must be treated as a medicine and cannot be used to prepare foods.
- The ruling by the European Court of Justice points directly to a major problem with dispensing fluoride (or any intended medication) via the public water supply: the dosage is not/cannot be regulated. People are constantly consuming unmeasured amounts of fluoride due to fluoridated water being widely used in food and beverage processing and preparation.
- Although this is not a reason in and of itself, it does give reason for consideration of the issue: many cities in the U.S. have reviewed fluoridation and have decided to discontinue. Just a few of these cities are: Napa, CA; Davis, CA; Spring Hill, TN; Fairbanks, AK; Sparta, NC; Albuquerque, NM; Witchita, KS. For a more complete list go to: